Sunday, August 24, 2014

Our Work and their perception

Anything is not easy as it seems to be. The work of customs office and ofcourse every law enforcing agents is seen to be the easiest and unclean in nature. Almost every people perceive it as a precinct of getting corrupted and officials as doing a dirty job.  I heard  people say this for several times when they asked my profession.  As soon as I tell them that I work for Regional Revenue and Customs Office, they start criticizing the profession and organisation out of their prejudice. They show no hesitation when they talk about such insightful topics because they think what they are talking is true. 

 I would say  being in the office of law enforcing agent is the toughest job I have ever seen in my life. I don’t have idea of how other law enforcing agencies work but regarding customs work, it is really hard one. Since it is service providing office, the officials have to wake up as early as 5 a.m in the morning and be on duty by at least 6 am to deliver service to those waiting in queue when others are  in their best state of dreaming.The officials   bear the shouts and angers of the customer. We have to maintain the calm and serve the people. 
People do not see the sacrifice we make while they see the mistake someone in the past might have made. They tag us with the same name while they forget that about the ones who are dedicated and responsible.

We have to act and balance line of work with human emotion which is two distinct elevations. The usual office time end by 4 pm in winter and 5 pm during summer for other offices but we end it by late evening which is 7 pm at the earliest and sometimes extend till 10 pm in the evening depending on number of transactions we receive. I have read one article and found that the person working in shift basis will have health risk: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/shift-work. Yet, we have to work in shift system were we forgo the health issue just serve and deliver the service on time. Ours is an office time while others go back home to their kids and family. This is what one with prejudice fail to look at. 

I don’t mean to seek sympathy and appreciation with my article. I just want the readers to help us create awareness about the work we do. I want people to get rid of the false believe inbuilt in them . I claim that the organization I work in is corruption free and that one man’s mistake shouldn't be generalized for all. Corruption is everywhere and there isn't one fixed area were it takes place. So one must be very careful while criticizing any one unless there is an evidence to prove it
Irresponsible, selfishness and greed are the factors leading to corruption and it can be anywhere irrespective of the nature of work.

1 comment:

  1. well written dondu. I hope people get this message clearly.

    ReplyDelete